Monday, October 31, 2011

Know for yourself

Ey fambo,

Man what? That roadshow sounds so sweet. Maybe if you put it on YouTube President Roggia will approve it for being awesome. It's worth a shot. I especially wish I could see the bishop dressed up as Gene Simmons. Bishop if you're reading this, I want you to know I'm proud of you. It sounds like the roadshow was up to Momma Jill standards though (I hope Ben doesn't get confused...).

The office elders emailed us and told us that if you send packages not to declare more than $10 of the contents inside.. or something like that. They said it was because the mission was having to pay big fines and stuff on the packages that were more than that. So yeah. Thanks for all the packages everyone has sent already though! I always greatly greatly appreciate the stuff inside. Man so sweet. I got a few letters from the family the other day- Uncle Jeff, Grandpa Stewart, and Grandma Stewart. I loved everything you all had to say! Whenever I get a chance I'll try and write back! Thanks for all the support though it really helps. In case anyone is wondering, no we haven't seen General Conference yet. Maybe one day I'll get to see it. Ha. Savannah if you don't score a hattrick in every game (except against Lafayette High) I"ll be very upset. So train hard. It's good hear everything is going well at home!

Well, this week was a good one of course. We have 6 people preparing for baptism on the 12th and so we're working on teaching them so that they will be ready in time. But of course if they're not we'll push it. Something very strange happened this past week. No, I didn't get hugged by another debul- I would consider that normal now. It was something much much stranger. I met an American. From Arizona. And he had nothing to do with our church or missionary work. I'm not gonna lie I felt really weird. Haha. He was there with a Christian group digging wells and have been there for like 7 months. We started talking to him about the Church and invited him to come on Sunday. He said "I'm gonna be honest, I'm not going to be going, we have our own Church here." Ah America. You're so funny. He said he had visited the Church before, had lots of LDS friends, and had even sat down with the missionaries before. He said he had a problem with the Book of Mormon because in the Book of Revelations in the New Testament there is the verse that says no one should add or subtract from this book. It's funny that people read that and think of the Book of Mormon as violating that verse. When John received that revelation he had been exiled to the island of Patmos. The word Bible means binding of books. In those early days of the first century all of the scriptures were written on scrolls and were spread around the countries. Then many centuries later King James got a bunch of men together who brought all the scrolls together and put together the Bible. So what that tells us is that John was referring to the revelation he received and not the entire Bible. Because the Bible didn't exist when he wrote down his revelation. It's pretty simple. The biggest thing with the Book of Mormon though is that it's not about trying to convince people with flashy messages or is telling us about Joseph Smith. Anyone who reads the front of the book can see that it testifies of Christ. If you read the Introduction to the Book of Mormon, especially the last two paragraphs, it tells you to pray and find out for yourself if it's message is true. It doesn't say "take the missionaries word for it," or "if your preacher tells you it's the book of the devil please don't believe him," it tells us that through honest prayer you will come to find out through the Holy Spirit that it is a true book. Because who will tell you the truth more than any man on earth? God. So anyone who reads this blog I would invite you to read the Introduction and find out for yourself what this book is all about (You can just Google search the Book of Mormon, easy). And then if you want to know more talk to my parents or find the missionaries. For myself I've come to know it speaks of truth, but like I said, don't take my word for it, pray and ask to know for yourself.

Anyway, we told just about all that same stuff to that guy and he still refused to find out more for himself. Everyone has their agency I guess. Everything is going well here and I am for sure continuing to learn more and more every single day. I'm kind of nervous for Elder Pabie to get transferred, but that's because he cooks delicious food for us every night. Other than that I'm good. So keep me updated on what's happening on the home front and I'll let you know how good ole Africa is doing. I love you and miss you all!

Love,
Elder Stuwy

P.S. Lexi Hayob- Happy one day late Birthday
P.S.S. The pictures wouldn't work, but they were just of a sweet river, so not too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment