Monday, October 24, 2011

Not the "New Guy" anymore :)

Sounds like everything is going well at home.  So you got to hear some Krio? Maybe? Yeah, the language is crazy. I can speak it in lessons and stuff well enough for people to understand now though. I put on an accent and speak kind of slowly, but they don't seem to notice and understand what I'm saying. So it's pretty sweet. But then I'll ask them if they have any questions and they'll say a bunch of stuff and I have no idea what to say back. It's nice to have a companion who understands though. Haha.

 Yup, we got matching jerseys for the love of our country. Like Father like son (He's my father out here)
 This is what our room looks like. The mosquito nets are a very fashionable touch. You know you want one. My bed is the close one.
 This is our parlor, the door in the back leads to the kitchen and the little hallway leads to the front door.
 These are the people we baptized. The white guy is me.
This is a fat adorable African baby
 Elder Wood found a Krio Bible. This is John 3. If you read it out loud you'll be surprised how much you actually understand. This language is so funny. Haha.

 This is Grafton District! Elder Pabie and I are obviously the two in the matching jerseys in the front, and then in the back from left to right is Elder Taylor (from Wyoming), Elder Wood (from Utah), Elder Essego (from Nigeria), and Elder Tawiah (from Qatar).
This is granny, She is crazy old. But really hilarious. She won't let anyone cook her food. If someone cooks her food she puts it in the pot and cooks it again. She is indeed extreme.

Yeah so as you'll be able to see in the pictures, we had baptisms this last weekend! It was pretty cool and everyone showed up on Sunday to be confirmed so we had no wahalla (problem). One of those people though was really cool for me though because one of the women who got baptized was the first person I ever taught on my mission. Like my first day in the field started with us going to see her. And that lesson was the first lesson she ever had with the missionaries. So it was cool to see how someone goes through the entire process of conversion. Pretty neat. This past week Elder Pabie brought us to an old investigators house that I had never met before and it turns out that he was some crazy guy with all these insane beliefs. He brought out a flip chart and was explaining all this crazy stuff to us. Then we tried telling him the truth and he was quoting all these random scriptures trying to tell us why he's right. But Elder Pabie is a master of the scriptures and we humbled him with correct principles straight out of the Bible. Sidenote- it's actually pretty amazing that you can find everything we believe in right inside the Bible exactly the way Jesus Christ set up his church. I don't understand how so many doctrines got twisted. Anyway- like that guy tried to tell us that Jesus was a Spirit when he resurrected and didn't have a body of flesh and bones. So we had him read the end of Luke 24. After he read it we put away our stuff and invited him to church. Haha. But you see, the crazy thing is that he actually came to church the next day! We were so surprised and excited. After church it seemed like his heart was still pretty hardened, but we'll see what happens.

So everything is getting pretty much in a routine here now. Everything isn't as much of a shock anymore. And because of that it's always sweet when exciting things happen, like transfer news! Yesterday was the end of this transfer and there were actually a lot of changes in our district. I am staying with Elder Pabie for this next transfer, but Elder Pabie is now our district leader. Which means that Elder Wood has to go somewhere, and that somewhere is to be the next Assistant! He was training Elder Essego (from my MTC) so now Elder Taylor will be his companion and will finish his training with this transfer. So that means that Elder Tawiah is getting a new companion which is none other than a stinking brand new missionary fresh from the MTC! I'm so excited!! Haha, I'm liking the whole me not being the newest missionary anymore. This new missionary is name Elder Walker and is from America. So he's going to have all the crazy changes that I had. I'm pretty excited about it. So I'll point out who all these people are in the picture above because I'm pretty sure you don't know who all these Elders are. Haha.

As far as a package goes, this is what I can think of- oreos (yup I miss them a lot), pop tarts (send like a million of them), flavored water mix (don't they have like a propel kind you can just pour in a bottle of water?), cheez-its, and anything that can easily make a meal with water or milk. Anything more than that is hard to make. A lot of supplies are hard to get. Like even the milk here is just this powder stuff you mix with water. It kind of smells like easy mac. It's interesting.

Anyway, everything is going so good here and I'm looking forward to my second transfer as a missionary! I love you all!

Love,
Elder Stuwy

PS- Elder Taylor has some Stewart relatives, does Grandpa Mel have any siblings living in Wyoming or Vegas? I can't remember where he said they live. I'll ask again. But if you find anything out let me know. Kthanks.
PSS- in case you're wondering if I like my hair, I don't. But it is definitely a lot cooler and people say it makes me look a lot more intimidating and older. Ahahaha. But I don't really care how I look because I never have to see me. But seriously I don't. The only mirror we have is this tiny little bit of a broken piece of mirror. Which means that I see my reflection hardly ever. Oh man life is so sweet here! Haha!

1 comment:

  1. as usual: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!!! :) And he does look older with that haircut, and it looks so much darker, but I DO like it. Change is always good. ;) And really, I believe I've said this several times before too, but could he be any more positive? I think not.
    I am looking forward to Monday's now too. I'm glad you put the letters up so quickly. Love you and miss you!

    PS As you know, there are LOTS of Stewart's in Vegas, none of whom we are (at least closely) related to. And, I don't think there are any relatives in Wyoming. When Grandpa Mel was here last week, he typed up a (short!) letter to Hunter.

    ReplyDelete