Monday, October 10, 2011

Testimony Builder

Savannah, if you are ever annoyed by the uniforms you have to wear to school, don't feel bad because all the kids here wear uniforms too. Except all the girls wear those jumper things and these clog straps uncomfortable looking shoes. And the clothes are all the same color. But then again I guess most of them are just happy to be getting an education. A lot of people here don't know how to read very well or at all

Ah I'm always so happy to hear about the testimony meetings back home. I miss them. There was something pretty strange that happened here though. Remember that all of the adults here are converts and all come from various religious backgrounds. This one guy in our branch must have been like a pastor or something before because when he talks at the pulpit he always starts shouting and pointing. I have no idea what he's saying because his Krio is pretty thick, but I guess he's pretty passionate about the gospel. When he went up to bear his testimony he also started singing this little jingle and doing a little dance. He was like "I'm wrapped up. Tied up. Bound uppp in Jesus! I'm wrapped up. Tied up. Bound uppp in Jesus!" Some of the people in the congregation joined in a little bit so we had like a spontaneous minute of singing and dancing. So yeah it was just like a musical in real life. Needless to say I'm pretty excited for next month.

Mom, Elder Pabie would definitely make fun of me for wearing gloves. I think everyone would. I have to get African hands. It's the only way. I'm sorry. I will endure the suffering. Sister Roggia took a picture of my hands so you might see a picture of it on the mission blog. I have no idea though.

(There IS a picture on the mission blog- see link on the sidebar to the right if you want to see Hunter's scabby hands!)

I have this stinking amazing video of these kids singing a song and dancing but unfortunately the video file is too big so I can't send it home... I'm so sad. It's funny. And I speak a tiny bit of Krio in it. The Krio is coming along okay but I'm not worrying about it so much anymore. I think I explained that whole thing in the last email home. I can understand it pretty good now though.

So life here is becoming pretty routine. The days are going by pretty fast. I've already been in the mission field for over a month. New missionaries are going to be coming to this mission soon. So crazy. I've pretty much gotten over the whole shock of living here, now it's just an every day thing. Oh, I got that package with Pop-Tarts and the boku germx in it. Man everyone in the apartment was like "What???" So thank you for all of that stuff! I feel so spoiled. I got a couple letters from Jen too so Jen- I'll write you back as soon as I can! Everyone who is sending me things, as always, I'm so thankful for all of you and you are all amazing. The missionaries in the apartment are all jealous of how much stuff I get. I'm so blessed to have all of you. Also, the letters I get keep saying how great of a job is being done on the blog so keep it up!

Well, I guess it's time for the story of the week right? Right. So this past Friday I went on exchanges with Elder Essego, who was in the MTC with me. So yeah, so brand new missionaries were sent out into the world. And guess what, we were absolutely fine. We had a bunch of sweet lessons and learned tons from each other. It was so cool to see how far we've come in just 4 weeks. One of the last lessons of the day was very very cool and made me appreciate our Savior SO MUCH. So we headed over to this one guys house and when we walked up I noticed that the guy had a major limp and struggled walking. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the area we were in was a disabled war veterans camp. A lot of the people around had physical disabilities. Anyway, so we sat down and started talking to this guy. Last time he had met with the missionaries they taught him just the very very beginning of the Plan of Salvation, so we were going to go over what they taught him and finish teaching the lesson. (Anyone who is reading this and doesn't know what the Plan of Salvation is, it is what tells us where we come from, why we're here and where we're going. You know, life's biggest questions. So if you want to know what that's all about, tell my Mom and she'll refer you to the missionaries. Or you can be stuck in darkness about it forever. Your call!) We were teaching him and I was telling him about resurrection. I told him how that when we are resurrected we will all have perfect bodies; not a single thing will be out of place, that any sickness or anything we may have now will be completely healed and gone. I asked him if he had any questions and he said no. We started talking about the next point when he stopped us and said, "wait, so when we're resurrected we will be perfect? Like we will be completely healed- from anything?" Elder Essego pointed to a scar he had on his forehead and said,"you see this scar on my head? At the resurrection it will be gone. Our bodies will be perfect. It's a free gift that Jesus Christ has given to all men, no matter what they do in this life." The man kind of sat there for a second looking down at the ground. Then he said quietly, almost to himself, "Wow... that's a really good gift."

Man! I've never understood how great of a gift that really was until that moment! Jesus Christ died for us so that we could have that. This man was so optimistic at what the future held. The Spirit was so strong and I could just feel how happy this man felt. I myself felt so happy for him. We're all so stinking blessed for that. Needless to say it was a pretty huge testimony builder. Earlier we had explained the things we have to do in this life to make it back to our Heavenly Father and at the end of the lesson we asked him if he had any questions. He said, "No, no questions. But man, it's not easy is it?" Haha we all laughed at that and said no, it's not, but it is so far from impossible. He seemed really happy when we left and I was bummed I wouldn't get to teach him again, but I'm sure he will continue to learn more. This gospel is so cool and makes so much stinking sense.

Anyway, after that spiritual landmine I will now tell you that Elder Taylor (from Wyoming) told us he almost got pooped on by a woman the other day. He made it out of the way in time though. We also killed another mouse. Since we're heading into dry season and it hasn't been raining as much we haven't had water in our rain barrels. So that means we have to go pump it from a nearby well. Yup. Elder Taylor described this place as us living in New Testament times. It's true in so many ways. K time to explain the pictures.

 This is from the front door of our apartment At 6:30. There are some pretty sweet sunrises here.
 This is a giant pig's face.

 This is a giant iguana this guy killed. And later ate. I have a funny video of Elder Pabie scaring children with it. But alas. Another time.


This is a picture in Allentown. Allentown is basically a mountain with houses all the way up one side of it. We climb all the way to the top seeing people along the way and over the back and walk down the other side and through this long road back to the apartment. My companion is cleaning his ears with a plant in that picture. Haha.


   This is how I know what games are on every day! There are little chalkboards like this sitting around random places that tell you who is playing and what is going on. They pretty much only follow the EPL. and then Barca and Real Madrid. And any National team games. Speaking of which I should be getting a Sierra Leone Jersey today. So excited.

Well, everything here is good and I'm enjoying. I hope everyone is doing well back home. I'll talk to you all again next week. I love everyone and miss you all!

Love,

Elder Stuwy

P.S. Kelly Landry- Happy (belated) Birthday!
P.S.S. I'm shaving all my hair off today. Be excited for next week.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry, did he say "shaving all my hair off today"?? Love it! And really, could he be more positive and motivated? I think not. Love him! And y'all. Have a great week! I'm already looking forward to next weeks letter. :) When you email him, tell him he doesn't need to write me back. I mean, of course he CAN, but he's so busy. And he needs to just keep these letters coming for the blog.

    ReplyDelete