Sunday, September 11, 2011

Last Letter from the Ghana MTC

It's good to hear about everything going on at home. Savannah- keep up the non-crashing driving. That's very good. I also need to say that no my companion was not making crack. He had to take these pills to flush any worms in his system (all the Africans had to do this), and the pills were so big that he was crushing them up and putting them into water to drink. Not very effective pill taking, but whatever. It's sad because he's leaving to go to Nigeria and I will surely miss him, but that's just how these things go! Mom- you said Elder Wing looked like cousin Cody and I thought the same thing! Haha, he even acts like him a little bit. It's pretty funny. I'll no doubt be seeing him when we get back to BYU. Dad- I got your message too and I don't really have time to appropriately respond but I love you too and I'm thankful that you're my dad! As far as me getting mail, I haven't gotten anything. It's really depressing because I thought I would have gotten something by now. Maybe I should have and you guys are all liars and didn't actually send anything. Just kidding. Hopefully I will get it soon because I'm gone soon!
So this Tuesday I'll be leaving for Sierra Leone (FINALLY), along with about 18 other missionaries. Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked. Especially because yesterday we went proselyting! It was so awesome and crazy at the same time. We had about a two hour block in the day to go. We all went down and got into vans with our districts (We were all grouped into groups of 12 missionaries total for the districts) and the van drove us to a random part in the Tema community. The van pulled over on a random spot of the road, we had a quick prayer, all 12 of us brand new missionaries got out, and then the driver said good luck and drove away. Then we got with our companions and walked off in different directions. It was pretty intimidating. Haha. The streets are filled with trash, there's a pretty big stench of sewage everywhere, and people are just out in the streets barefoot burning trash in the ditches in front of their houses. It's very different from America. So Elder Nartey and I were walking down a random road and saw a guy sewing. He told us to go away. Then the next person was speaking Twi (the dialect they speak here in Ghana) so I stood there awkwardly while Elder Nartey talked to her. But then a man called me over and I sat down and taught him The whole Restoration and left him a Book of Mormon. All in all we were able to give away all the materials we had with us and had our last people asking us where they could get a copy of the Book of Mormon. The people here are so humble. They are all wanting to hear our message and wanting to find out about the truth for themselves. In two hours we got 9 new investigators, and taught 3 full lessons. It was so cool. It was also so much better than role playing. Gosh I'm so sick of doing that. Haha. Anyway, I have 4 minutes to finish up (the time limit is so annoying) so I'll have to tell you more after I get to the mission field! I also thought of some things I want if you want to send me something- mints, pop-tarts, peanut butter, hand sanitizer (lots!), facewash, and any other American food you can send. I miss American food SO MUCH. It sucks. Hopefully I can find something good in the field. Anyway, I love you all and miss you lots!
 The view from our window onto the football field and one of the local church buildings
 Football!
 And posing
 This nasty sour bread dough called like Bonku or something. All the Africans love it. The Americans do not. But luckily when they serve that we usually get another choice, that night the other choice was-
 Cassava leaves. I know it looks like mushed up vomit, poop, pig intestines, noonafish, seaweed and dog excrement, but it's not that bad. It's worse. The plain rice and pineapple make up my dinner on those days. (okay so it's not THAT bad. But it's still pretty disgusting.)
  This picture is for Lexi Hayob. I thought she would like to know that Africans like Hannah Montana too. Those are the study journals they gave us when we first got here. Mine has "super cars" on it. They also have High School Musical ones. It's pretty special.
The other main religion here.We said that if there was an LDS one with the Book of Mormon it would say "we find you." at the bottom but, I guess that's why we aren't in charge of those things.
Big Black- I have a video here of this tall Nigerian with a crazy eye saying "I'm old GREEGGGG" but sadly the video is .9 Megabytes too big. So it'll have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment