Monday, January 2, 2012

Elder Stewart: politician, understanding what you believe in & lots of pics!

Hello everyone,

How's everything? Everything is still going well here in Salone. Man Elder Bednar is coming? I like him a lot. I also like the fact that Elder Walker looks the same as him. Yeah, it's pretty great.

So the missionary work has been continuing as always. It's a bit saddening to see the Church so empty, but I'm really hoping that the holiday had everything to do with that. Attendance better be up for next week or a lot of people are going to face the wrath of the missionaries. We have a baptism planned for Jan 14th though! It has been a long time since we had one because everyone was going out of town and doing crazy stuff for the holidays, but people should be slowly coming back and the work should continue as normal.

The other day we were sitting and waiting for one of our investigators to finish working on something. While we were sitting there his dad came out and sat with us. His dad is probably about 65 or so, and has traveled to several different countries. Sidenote- did I ever mention that I met a 105 year old who fought in World War II one time? Cause that happened. Anyway. We were talking to him and he started to ask me some funny questions. One thing he is convinced of is that I am going to be a politician as I get older. He said I look like someone who would make a great politician. I don't really understand why, I'm pretty sure that's the last job I would ever want. Anyway, from there he asked me if I believed in God. I told him of course. Then he told us that that young people today always change their minds about things as they grow older. He said we would change our beliefs about our religion as we got older. I looked him in the eyes and told him that there was absolutely no possible way I would ever come walk around under the hot sun every single day in pants and a white shirt and tie if what I believed in wasn't true. There is no way that it will ever change and nothing that can change my mind from the truth. He sat there for a second and said, "Oh, you understand what you believe in!" It was kind of funny. But true. I would never give everything up that I did if it wasn't true. Man, no way. I feel like I might have portrayed this man in a bad light, but I want you all to know that he's very enjoyable and it's really funny to listen to him talk about how tricky young boys are when it comes to girls. He's a really funny old guy. He also believes in God so I guess maybe he was testing us or something? Who knows. Anyway, it was kind of a cool little experience.

Anyway, everything here is, of course, great. The time feels like it's going by much faster than I thought it would. I'm happy to hear you are all doing well. Keep me updated on everything! I love and miss you all!

Love,
Elder Stewart

PS Big Black! Happy Birthday my friend! Just like I said to Clayton, it's strange that I will not be seeing you. But not to worry, the time will soon come. I hope everything is going well with you and that the mighty state of Idaho is still all you hope and wish for it to be. Play a nice game of anticipation to celebrate.

 This was my sweet dirt fake tan after we played football for our Christmas football match. Super sweet.
 At the Christmas Conference between our two zones, these are all the missionaries that were in the MTC at the same time as me. Just a very small portion of the many people that came with my group. Also, I'm not really as bald as I look in this picture.
 Our wonderful Christmas Tree
 We roasted hot dogs for Christmas Eve. It was very magical. And romantic.
 The delicious breakfast Elder Walker and I cooked for everyone in the apartment.
 The aftermath of eating that incredibly delicious breakfast. As you can see we are all wearing super sweet jerseys. Thank you Elder Taylor.
 My companoin and I walking the streets of Waterloo. So inspiring and touching to all of you mighty citizens of planet earth.
 The Waterloo Elders hold a big FHE group every Monday and we helped them out for Christmas time.
I was pounding pepe for that lady. Service!

2 comments:

  1. ah, wikipidia knows all:

    Pepe is a nickname for José (Spanish), and an Italian surname.
    Pepe is a nickname for any person called José, but is also often used with different connotations. Etymologically, it derives from the name of Saint Joseph, the reputed father of Jesus. Thus 'PP' = padre putativo (putative father). Perhaps by coincidence, the Italian diminutive of Giuseppe (José in Italian) is 'Beppe', 'Peppe', or 'Peppino'.

    beating a child perhaps?? :(

    ReplyDelete