Monday, January 16, 2012

Transfer News, Answers to Random Questions & Let none fall away!

Hello my people,

First off, no packages. But then again it has been a while since anyone has really come by our apartment. We were at the mission office a little over a week ago though. So that was the last time I checked. We received transfer news yesterday so maybe when someone comes to our apartment for that I'll get them.

So yeah, transfer news came and nothing too exciting happened for me and my companion. We are the same, as are Elder Taylor and Elder Essego. The exciting thing that's happening is with Elder Walker and Elder Tawiah! Elder Tawiah is leaving us and going to Kenema, and Elder Walker is receiving a new missionary to train! It's pretty crazy. Our apartment is full of young missionaries... except for Elder Taylor. He's an old man now. Aha. Elder Essego and I came at the same time so we are the second oldest missionaries in the apartment now. It's crazy. And in my branch I'm the oldest missionary out of the four that are there. It's pretty insane how much trust has been put in us. I really love the responsibility though. We've been doing a lot of things to really get the Church established in this part of the world.

Well, to answer your questions (It's good when you ask those random questions because sometimes I forget that things that happen here would be weird to all of you, haha), as far as needing anything, all I really ask for is American food and things that can be made easily with water over a stove. We can get like eggs, this milk powder stuff, margarine, imitation spam (yeah, imitation imitation meat)... pretty basic stuff like that. Nothing crazy. Like chocolate chips sound like a ridiculous thing right now. So yeah, anything I can make that's delicious and easy to make. OH! The Slap Yo Mamma was a big hit in the apartment because a lot of the food is pretty bland. It's just hot. So seasoning is super good. So any seasoning that's delicious. Sidenote- the Glee version of Defying Gravity is playing in this internet cafe right now, not that I'm listening to it at all though. Anyway, back to your questions. yes, I'm surviving. Yes, it's starting to get pretty hot, not too crazy yet- March is supposed to be the worst thing ever. Can't wait for that. Yes, we haul water from hand pump well once or twice a week. It's part of our routine now. I'll take a picture of it this week. It's pretty much the greatest workout ever. Man. Haha. Anything I've eaten that's unusual lately? Not lately. But on Christmas Day I ate some chicken foot. That's pretty unusual I guess. Any crazy critters here? The lizards are super huge? Haha nothing too crazy. Everything is like 10 times bigger here though. I am still yet to see a monkey... but one of our investigators promised to find one for us though. So whenever that happens there will be pictures for sure. Haha.

So I've got to admit, this past week was pretty sweet. One of the highlights was definitely the baptism we had! Three people got baptized from the Kossoh Town Elders. The service was really nice and my companion did the baptisms. So that was really cool. But the story today goes out to all you people who are lacking on your home teaching. Yeah watch out. So this past week I was talking to this guy who is the only member in his community and he was talking about how he's going around trying to share the gospel with the members of his community but wasn't having much success. We have never been into the community where he lives so I decided we would go to his house and go knocking on doors around his house, and also try and coordinate some lessons that he could come with us to go do. So one day we went and checked to see if he was in his house. His family told us he had gone to school so he wasn't around. My companion and I both took a pamphlet about the Restoration and decided we couldn't leave the community until we had both placed them. Since he's still being trained I went first and the first house we went to let us in and we taught a small lesson. After that I told him it was his turn. He was very hesitant as far as where to go. While we were standing there a random man walked up to us and was like, "Are you guys missionaries?" We told him who we were and which Church we were from. The guy suddenly pointed at this random boy walking by and said, "That boy worships on Saturdays! Is that right?" And called him over. We started talking to this boy and found out that he was a member of our church, and baptized when he was about 8 years ago along with his entire family. He explained to us that he had loved the church, passed the sacrament, and always came. About 3 years ago their family moved to the community we were currently standing in and found the church. He said when he went to church, no one was receptive, no one seemed to care they were there, and they were never given a responsibility. They felt very unwelcome so they started attending another church. We told him we would talk to our branch president and come see him later in the week. Many days later we asked people around the community and found out where his house was. When we came to his house and sat down he told us that he was surprised we actually showed up. After a long and incredibly uplifting conversation (I'm running out of time!) he told us he knew the church was true and incredibly touched that we came to see him. We read some scriptures with him and he said he was definitely going to come back to church. We also are going to try and have family home evening with his family and encourage all of them. If I had more time I would say more, but just know that it was a super cool and spiritual experience! Let none of your brothers and sisters fall away! Anyway, I hope you guys are all doing well and everything is great!

Love,
Elder Stewart

PS- Cody Guilbeau- Happy Birthday! I'm buying lots of jerseys to compete with your collection. Be aware.


 Baptism!
 Exchange with Elder Taylor! Yes, I always wear that really bright tie on exchanges.
  Excitement at the top of the mountain
 Sweet view
 The football field we played on last week
What the chair first looked like . . . .
What the chair turned into using only nails, a hammer, and duct tape

No comments:

Post a Comment