Monday, June 18, 2012

African Names, Super P-day at the Beach & The Lord will ALWAYS come through

Hello my people,

So first of all- Dad, Happy Father's Day! I'm sure it was pretty great. Yeah, don't worry, I too wouldn't mind getting to call home again for Father's Day, but I guess everything has it's purpose. Bree Bree and Dev Dev dae go meri na de tempel. kusheio! That's weird that you said in those old videos I had an accent. Those motorbikes were so great. Man... I miss them. They have them on this side of the city but we're not allowed to ride on them because it's too dangerous. Definitely understandable, it would be nuts to get on one of those things here. Marvin. I'm jealous you guys are going to Door County. It's weird because I was actually just thinking about that place the other day. It would be kind of sweet to have a reunion with Clayton and Mikey there. Ahh so sweet. I miss those guys. I got a letter from Clayton the other day. I'll do my best to write you back tonight! And make it June 27. You know. I'm glad to hear about Cassie! Crazy she's in Spain. I would try to write her but... yeah I dunno how to get mail to Spain from here. Only America. So to answer your questions real quick: 1. Everything with my companion is going pretty good. This week for the training he gets to take the lead over everything, so I'm pretty excited to follow him around all week. 2. Anything weird lately? Hmm. There isn't too much that seems weird any more. But I guess it was kind of funny the other day- a dog got driven over, like it was laying down in the road and the car passed over the top of it. I guess it was like terrified to move after that because it just kept laying in the road. So then a guy came over and started poking it with a stick until it ran off the road. Oh and a couple times we've had to stop in a car so a guy could grab his goats out of the road. 3. See the pictures for sweet football on the beach! 4. Typical African names for women- Zainab, Fatamata, Musu, Kadiatu, Rugiatu, Tadiatu, Poopoopoopypatu (not really), and for men- Foday, Musa, Mohammed (you'd be surprised how many Mohammeds are members of the church), Alie, Saidu. Popular last names- Kamara, Kallon, Bangura. 4. Definitely no movie theatres like the ones we know back home. So I would just say no. 5. Yes, Justin Bieber's reputation has indeed spread to Africa. But I've only heard his music played like two or three times. Most is local stuff. Coolest African I've met? Hard to say. But I would have to say some of the people we've baptized. Or those random guys that smoke weed and shout at us. Or talk about how the rocks have craters that fell from the stars and revealed the juju secrets of the Book of Mormon.

So spiritual story of the week! There is one sister that lives in our area that comes to church every week and has a very strong testimony and loves the church. The reason she is not baptized yet is because she has been cohabitating. She was first taught by the Elders just before I came here so I have had a good three transfers now of getting to see her and seeing her own frustration with her situation and her inability to be baptized. Her boyfriend would sit down with us and listen to what we had to say, but he never had a desire to act on what we invited him to do. The woman wanted to leave but the reason she could not is because she and the man have a small child together. For four months now I have seen her come to church and as we would go see her she would always express a desire to be baptized and to improve her situation. We always invited her to pray and fast and promised that in the Lord's time, he would definitely make it possible for her. About a month ago she was blessed with a job and since then has been making money. Things seemed to be going well until she had some serious problems with the person she was working with. As her time working for that person came to a close, another job opportunity opened up for her and they even don't make her work on Sundays. Just this past week she told us that she had arranged for her son to live with the boyfriends mother and she is moving out to live with her mom. This Sunday she told us she had moved in with her mom. Being able to see the blessings of the Lord to those who are faithful to his commandments strengthened my testimony so much. She went from sitting around in a small shop every day to getting a job and the opportunity to move out from a place that was keeping her from receiving the fullest joy of God’s blessing. I know it’s very true that the Lord will ALWAYS come through with his side of the deal, as long as we do all we can to choose the right. I pretty much freaked out when it all came together. So I'm hoping that I'll be able to see her get baptized!

Everything is going well and I'm doing great! We had a super P-day at the beach today but I'm out of time so enjoy the pictures! Those creepy missionary wood men are unfortunately not mine. But they're pretty stinking cool. I'll talk to all next week!

Love,
Elder Stewart











No comments:

Post a Comment