Monday, March 26, 2012

Family Love, Rubber Tire Shoes & That's how it is

Hello everyone,

So sorry I made you a liar when it comes to the soda. I'm not really sure what the deal is either. People here will give us some when we come to their house and I mean, you can't refuse. People get super offended if you tell them no to their food. Like man. Do not do that. It's pretty hard to get out of those situations without eating. We always tell them they for make small, but most times it's a lot. So we actually get free meals a lot. Which I'm pretty much definitely okay with. I mean sure it's not like pizza and hamburgers or anything, but I've gotten used to the food here and definitely enjoy it now.

I also would like to say that I stinking love everyone in our family once again. First I got that package from Wayne (which is almost finished already), and then I got two from Jen and the one from Jeff Stewart and family. They all came one at a time for three days in a row. All the other Elders were pretty jealous. So thank you all very very much.

That boot looks pretty sweet Mom. Just don't go mess up the other one. Two boots is too much. Although it would look pretty funny. Maybe you should go buy one and send a picture to me. Okay that doesn't matter. Anyway, I'm sorry that there's no pictures this week. This computer won't recognize my camera for some reason. But it's not too bad because this week I didn't really take any pictures. Just before we left to come to the cafe I took a picture of my shoes because one of our investigators just mended them and put some tire rubber on the bottom. I also just took some pictures of the apartment so you could see it. It's not very exciting.

So this week we had some pretty sweet stuff happen. One thing that was pretty cool was when we were teaching this one man about the need for a restoration of the gospel. He said that the church continued after the apostles died and that there was no loss of the priesthood. We read some scriptures in Mathew about how there needed to be a falling away before Christ could come again, and discussed the meaning of the priesthood and it's importance in the functioning of the church. We talked about Joseph Smith and the importance of the Book of Mormon. He has very strong beliefs in his own church but we showed him the importance of reading the Book of Mormon, and praying about what you read to find out if the book is true for yourself. I don't really know how to describe it but at the end he gave us a very sincere promise that he would read from the Book of Mormon every day and pray about what he read. He didn't come to church last Sunday but we'll see how everything went when we check up on him this week. I finished reading the Book of Mormon again a couple of weeks ago and I definitely know it teaches truth. I've been reading the New Testament lately and everything that the Book of Mormon talks about is cemented as I read about Christ and his ministry. I wish everyone could read the Book of Mormon because I'm tired of people saying it's a devil book or that as you read certain verses alone in the dark money will appear... or maybe people only say that here. But still, there's a lot of things that could be cleared up if people would just read. And besides, the war chapters would make for a pretty sweet war movie. Just saying. Maybe I'll make a modernized African adaptation to the story. But anyway, I know it's true and it does nothing but testify of Christ. So that's how it is. Everything is going well here, the work is sweet, the trees are fruitful, the sun is shining, the sun is shining a lot, the sun is shining way too much and my skin is burning. Actually I have a pretty nice tan. Just a small burn here and there. Not bad. My legs however.... yeah. Okay well, we need to go climb a mountain and find a lady who promised us food. I'll talk to you next week!

Love,
Elder Stewart



Here's a picture from the Mission President's Blog of Elder Stewart and his companion in the Mission Office emailing home a few weeks ago when the power went out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment