Monday, April 23, 2012

Losing English, Being Bold & Four Languages

Hello once again,

Sounds like the trip to Utah was a successful one. Glad to hear that Breeann didn't trip and fall down. That would have been pretty great though. It's pretty crazy that you walked across that stage pregnant with Breeann and then getting to see her walk across by herself. Must have just made all your parental genes cry tears of soberness and joy. You know one thing I realized about myself during this past week was that my English is totally wearing out. Yeah. My new companion is fresh American and uses all sorts of big English words. Like I'm so used to talking such simple English. He used the word "automatically" the other day and it blew my mind. Like, if I wanted to tell someone they should do it automatically I would instead tell them that they should do it quick. Or well, I would say "yu fo du um quik quik wan!" Pretty great isn't it? I've finally hit that point where just about everyone can understand me now. Every now and then people can ask me to repeat stuff, but in the end the message always gets across. Anyway, I actually heard about that new shopping place in Salt Lake City yesterday! It's called like clear creek or something isn't it? Some of the other Elders said they met a guy from Salt Lake and he said they just knocked down a big part of Salt Lake down town and built a massive strip mall with a river running through it. Sounds pretty nuts to me.

This past week was a good one. Training is going along just great, it's kind of fun getting to see him go through like the exact same transition I went through. He'll be a great missionary though, that's for sure. One thing that I've been learning about myself here is how to be bold and say exactly what needs to be said to get the point across. The other day we were teaching one person and my companion invited them to be baptized. The person seemed confused a little bit by his English and I just said really loud, "You go baptize?" Then they understood and said yes. Okay, I guess that's not really a good example of being bold, it's just more me being blunt. But a lot of people seem to miss what EXACTLY we are trying to say and so we have to just be straight up with them and tell them what's going on. It's pretty exciting. Oh, guess what? I hope you didn't forget what's coming up.... Mother's Day! Which means I call home! So I figure we'll do the same thing we did last time. I'll flash the house and then you guys can just call me back. If for some reason that won't work let me know. I'm thinking I'll be calling around 1 or so... what's the time difference now? Five hours? I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated. Haha. Anyway, we had a super good Sunday this last Sunday- 10 investigators came to church. A few of them were people that we've been inviting to church every single week that just haven't been coming, so it was really fulfilling to finally see them there. I'm looking forward to going and seeing them this week and seeing what they thought about church. I'm also pretty excited for next week because next week (I think) we get to watch General Conference! Woo. Well, one and a half sessions of it anyway. I'll read the rest in the Liahona. Anyway, all is going well here! I feel like my emails have gotten pretty boring. Umm exciting thing that happened that's weird for people back home.... umm... well this isn't weird but just kind of funny, there's this little kid who lives right outside our compound who watched us play football one day. Every time I pass he shouts "short Messi!" (Messi is one of the world's best soccer players, for those of you that don't know like me, Hunter's mom!) and waves. So that's kind of funny. Also, my shirts compared to my companion's are like a very greyed white. His clothes are so bright and new. Anyway, everything that happens here seems so normal to me now so strange things don't really stick out as much. Me na Salone bobo bing! Ma la sina! na maya cotacoe? Cotahoy? Me feel se na fine, eh? Okay there, now this email has four languages in it. I go tok wit una nex week ya eri? I lek una bing!

Love,
Elder Stewart
P.S. All you people who go to college and write me letters and stuff- I don't know if your address has changed or not. So feel free to send me more letters including your new address. Thanks.

 The French version of cocoa rice krispies. Delicieux! (Five languages... even though that's spelled wrong... and I'm not sure if it's actually French.)
 Waiting for one of our investigators to show up. This is sitting at his house. As you can see we're on a mountain side. We're very healthy here.
These kids were out trying to fly some kites. I tried to get the kite in the picture but it just didn't happen. Ah well. Enjoy it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment