Monday, April 30, 2012

Shouting in Krio & The Power of Repentance

Hellooooooooooo

First of all, man is it really that noticeable that my English is
going? That's kind of embarrassing in the long run. But man! I'm so
jealous you guys got to see the Nielsen's and the Bridges. Oh I miss
those people. Big Black your arm is going to explode like that guy in
that one TV special that happened a long time ago. Looks like the trip
was a successful one though. I love getting pictures as well so always
feel free to send them. I don't have any to send home this week
(sorry) but there seems to be some kind of virus that got onto my SD
Card. All my pictures are still there and it still saves them it's
just annoying when I plug it into the computer. I didn't take any in
the last week, we've been pretty busy. But I did send home that flash
drive with one Elder named Elder Wood who I guess gave it to the
Patterson's to give to Grandma to give you all of you. So look out for
that. I think it has new pictures on it, I wasn't planning on giving
it to him but the morning he was leaving to go to the airport he
walked into my room and said Sister Patterson said I could give it to
him. I think I had put new pictures on it though. So maybe you'll get
that this week? We'll see.

Story for the week? Well, we were walking from one appointment to the
other one yesterday, and one of our investigators we have been
teaching called us over and said he wanted us to sit down with some of
his friends. The place they were all sitting was kind of like a small
covered area that had benches and different random seating. Some
people were playing checkers and he was sitting around with like 5 of
his friends just hanging out. We went over and sat down with all of
them and started to talk about how the gospel had been restored. After
we had been talking with them for about 5 minutes about 4 more people
had come. One of those people was an assistant pastor for one of the
local churches. Someone asked us if we payed tithing in our church. We
said yes, but explained that absolutely no one in the church receives
any kind of payment whatsoever. Where in the Bible does Jesus or the
apostles accept money? It was kind of funny because the assistant
pastor guy kept trying to tell us we were wrong and then all the
people around were getting mad at him and telling him he was wrong and
that they don't think it's right for pastors to take all the people's
money. And then they all started yelling at each other and it got
pretty intense. I think my companion might have been a bit overwhelmed
by all the big African guys shouting in Krio. It was pretty great
though. So the quick spiritual story for the week- we were meeting
with one investigator who had been taught by the missionaries just
before I came. She hadn't been coming to church so we met with her and
were trying to figure out what her concern was. We sat down with her
and started going over some of the commandments. When we got to the
Law of Chastity she said she had never been taught it before. After
reviewing it with her she was a little hesitant when we invited her to
live it. We asked her if she was struggling with any of it and she
told us yes. She has previously been really excited to be baptized and
everything but suddenly stopped coming. She seemed really discouraged
about everything and said that sometimes it's just easier to run away
from problems at home. We talked about the power of repentance and how
she doesn't have to always run away, but that because of Christ she
can change her ways and find that peace and happiness. It's pretty
crazy really. I mean I've been able to see people's entire lives
completely change as they begin to live by and follow the teachings of
Christ. Living by them brings peace to people and to their homes. I
dunno, I guess it's crazy how simple it is, but how hard it can be to
live. It's not always easy but it's possible! I just wish more people
could see that. The whole world would be a much better place, that's
for sure. Anyway, it was a really good lesson and I hope that she will
be able to progress towards her baptism! I love all of you very much
and I am continuing to pray for all of you and about everything that's
going on. I will talk to you all again next week!

Love,
Elder Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment