Monday, April 16, 2012

Tripled Prices, Unshakeable & the African Easter Bunny

Helloooooooooo

Life in the wilds of Africa is just oh so sweet. Funny that they had to stand in line with villagers to fill water on the Amazing Race, because I've totally had to wait for local people to finish using the pump to fill my own container. Too bad I wasn't in a competition to get a million dollars and had to do it every other day to live. It's all good though. I'd rather serve a mission than do that show. But that's not saying I wouldn't do it after (shout out to Cody). Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you don't have to wear a little boot anymore. That's definitely a relief. I'm sad that I can't come to Breeann's graduation; I hope she can forgive me. I'll be looking forward to the pictures!

Yeah, so... my companion is not from Africa. His name is Elder Symons and he's from Kansas. It's interesting serving with a white guy. The price of items in the market has suddenly tripled. So that's interesting. Sidenote- not that I'm listening to it, but "Ridin' Dirty" just came on in this internet cafe and it made me think of Big Black. I think that used to be his ringtone on my first phone. Wow... Anyway, So yeah it's weird serving with an American. He's really excited to be here and has a desire to do missionary work. So he'll do well. He also spent this past fall doing a semester at BYU living in Heritage Halls. I'll tell you, hearing that definitely made me feel a little old. Also you'll notice that I'm wearing a sweet hand stitched tie made by an African man. Oh yeah. A marching band is marching by the building right now. No idea why. I was thinking about how weird it is the other day that I'm only 19. Like seriously sometimes I feel like I'm like 24 or something. Some people here think I'm 35-40, but I think they just don't see white people very often. The funny thing is that we're two 19 year old guys but we go around telling people how their family life can improve, how they can make their marriages work, and just how they can live a better life. It's interesting that we'll be talking to people who are 20, 30 years older than us. The even funnier thing is that they listen to us and then tell us we're right. I just feel like 19 year old kids don't run around Africa speaking crazy languages and doing all those other things. I dunno, is that weird? Haha. Anyway, Dad was asking what my favorite scripture is since I"ve been on mission and it's the same thing as from before I left-- Jacob 7:5. I just like how it says "I could not be shaken." Something I've been wanting is to have a strong testimony that when people try and change me I too can be unshakeable. I definitely can tell you I'm heading in the right direction! Ha, mission is so sweet... Another story I really like in the Bible is in John 8 right at the beginning where it talks about the woman taken in adultery. I just like how Jesus tells the people that the person who is without sin should cast the first stone, the people all leave, and the woman is left alone. Then he tells her to go and sin no more. I dunno why I like it so much. I guess I just like how Jesus shows us that we ourselves are guilty, and that we need to just forgive others for their wrongs. One thing that I've been really learning here is patience. And I thought I was already a pretty patient person. Oh, and speaking of patience, the internet cafe shut down in the middle of me typing so I don't really remember what I was going to say next. But I need to go buy some food so I won't die. Anyway, keep me updated on how everything is going. I'll talk to you all next week!

Love,
Elder Stewart

PS- The questions:
1. Yes I've seen monkeys! Remember the picture I sent to you with me and a monkey a few months back? I have seen some more since I've been in this new apartment though. I definitely would rather have a monkey than a dog or any other little creature.
2. The weirdest food? I guess I would still have to say chicken foot... or maybe cow skin.
3. Most of the children go to school. They all have to wear little uniforms. Trust me, the uniforms we had to wear to school were not bad at all.
4. Yes, people have asked me what my first name is.
5. Yes, I always tell them it is Elder. And then after we all laugh and they ask me what it really is, I tell them I was serious.
6. Does the Easter Bunny come to Africa? No, but the Heineken truck does! It usually meets people at the beach.
 These are a few missionaries that I got to know while I was here that just went home this past week. The one on the left might look familiar. He was in my first apartment when I first got to the mission field. Oh, and the one to the right is Elder Donaldson. He's not going home. He and I came at the same time. We go way back to the good ole MTC. Where you have 3 giant meals a day and a snack before bed... and air conditioning... man that place was sweet.
Elder Symons and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment